Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Food Stamps & Coupons

Did you know you can use coupons with food stamps? You really can. It is a great way to stretch your allotment. I must warn you that some grocery stores still charge tax on the coupons. Also, if you buy a non-food item in the same order and use coupons, sometimes a little more money is subtracted from your food stamp balance. I do not understand why this happens but, any time it has, I have been told it is because I used coupons. If you do not receive much in food stamps, you will want to buy your non-food items in a separate order. If you receive a good amount in food stamps, it's in your best interest to combine food and non-food items together. Any time I have combined them, a little more is taken from food stamps but, I pay less out of pocket for the non-food items. Sometimes, I have even received cash back. I guess they are giving me the extra that was charged to food stamps because I used coupons.  By combining coupons with sales, I have almost doubled the amount of food I can get using food stamps. It is well worth the time to clip and organize coupons and to plan your purchases based on sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment